Tuesday, June 10, 2008

It's a Slow Start

I'm having a very slow start with the new job. Can't seem to get a response from any of the local schools, even when offering to do stuff at their summer fetes for free, which will bring more people into the fete and raise them more money!

Church leader with responsibility for my job says that this time of year schools really are not looking to get people in, they are trying to wind down for the summer (unlike our American friends we have another 5 weeks of school yet), and that no matter how good my pitch I will find it difficult. The thing is, I have also contacted a local church that we have good contacts with to offer to help out at their outreach day this coming weekend and got no response from that either. And I've sent in our forms for a local community fun day, and had no response from that either.

I feel like I'm banging my head up against a brick wall.

The main thing I'm doing with my paid time in the mean time is learning stories.

Oh, did I not tell you, I AM a storyteller. That means learning a story and reading it without a book! If I can get my act together I will share the stories with you as I learn them and even record me telling some of them and let you listen. And that's the main route we're trying with getting into the school initially, and what we're offering for other events such as summer fetes, etc.

So far I have learnt some bible stories, some local traditional folk tales, some stories that are not biblical but have a Christian theme, and I am going to be learning some traditional Jewish tales too.

I already shared one with a group of ladies I know online and one of them said my British accent was "SO BELIEVABLE" errrrm, YES, I live here! heeheeeheeee.

No comments: